Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Hiking in Moab

I was talking to Glenna Gallo the other day who said she wanted to take some of her staff down to see Moab Charter School. She thought they'd just love this little school that could, that operates in an old house and two old trailers just south of "downtown" Moab.

I love the school's board and staff, and their whole can-do attitude. They've overcome tremendous challenges. They're small, rural, and awesome. Their dress code is shorts and sandals for board meeting. They are growing, from 36 students a few years ago to almost triple that next year. They care so deeply about their community, their students, and their school.

So, that's probably the best part about Moab Charter. But second best is that when I come down every few months, I get to go on hikes like this.

Negro Bill Canyon (I know!--at least it's better than its original name a hundred years ago, which is even less politically correct) is like the perfect hike. It's the right distance, it's mostly flat, the whole of the hike is by a babbling brook, and it's gorgeous.


When you enter the canyon, you can immediately hear the perpetually running stream.

You'll cross this stream seven times on little rock-step bridges on your way to the end of the canyon, where you'll see Morning Glory Arch, one of the largest natural rock bridges in the country.

This picture is of my skinny white legs and my new hiking sandals. Good for stream crossings. Yes, I know, taking new shoes out on a five mile hike isn't the best thing, and I have a sore left big toe and sore right pinky toe because of it. But, they're really quite comfortable.

My favorite feature of the hike is the contrast in colors and textures. The hike at the begging and for a few other legs in is on mostly sand, not too deep, but it's almost like walking on a beach. Other times you're on packed dirt, and still others you're climbing rock staircases and across large plateaus of windswept stone walkways. Nature is quite the architect.
Many times during the hike I was struck by the beauty of the green trees on the canyon floor with the high red rock walls on either side, and the bright blue sky above it all. My camera phone doesn't do it justice. But check out the image of the rocks reflecting in the stream.
The stream of course sounds awesome, like water running over rocks always does. It raises an interesting point. Do you hike for two hours listening to nature, or is it okay if you bring and listen to your iPod? I listened to my iPod, Protect and Defend by Vince Flynn. So, I got to hear Mitch Rapp kill terrorists, but also the peaceful tranquility of nature's symphony. Contrast, you know.

There are also creatures. Mostly bugs, but also lizards.
I also saw a few little micey squirrels. Those things were fast, and I had trouble getting my camera out to get a picture. Eventually one was hanging out, washing his face on the red rocks, unaware of me or the predator approaching. I shot this great video.

Later as I was hiking, I heard that lion singing. I couldn't quite make it out, but it sounded like he was telling me to "Be Prepared."

"No problem Mr. Skinny Lion with the funny eye. I'm a former boy scout! That's my motto. I have a liter of water per hour and a first aid kit! Thanks for the reminder, though!"


As you approach the end of the hike you climb a rock stairway and can see the arch from the distance. As you get closer you can hear the stream again as you approach its source. Under the arch, the water has sliced away a thin opening in the mountain like a table saw. A small but loud trickle of water runs down this thin and
perfectly straight crack until it forms the stream that you've been following for more than two miles. It's my favorite part of the hike, but watch out for the poison ivy.

On the way back, you see this mountain staring at you.

"That reminds me," you think. "I could save a lot of money by switching to Geico." Then you start to sing, "I always feel like, somebody's watchin' me." It's eerie, especially for the people around you.

You're halfway back now, and the audio book is getting pretty exciting, but now you're thinking of all the clever ways you'll write about this on your blog, and how you'll post a clip from The Lion King (because it will be so funny when you make the be prepared joke!) and you're not really paying attention, and you have to go back and listen to that chapter again when you get in the car. And you think the real test is if Ken Craig thinks it's funny, because if he does, you've got it made.

Then you can go eat at one of the many exciting restaurants in Moab. You probably eat too much and you have to go number two when you get back to the hotel. But, when you're done, flowers came out.
Moab is a magical place.

No comments:

Post a Comment