Sunday, June 17, 2012

Scots fest

I went to Scotland in 2008.  It was for a wedding, so I give props for the wedding being the best part.  The actual best part was the day of the wedding when the groom and I speed-golfed.

That's very good form.
So it's always fun to go to the Utah Scottish Festival at Thanksgiving Point each June.

This year for the first time I went on Friday instead of Saturday, so I got to see the strong man competitions.  Very burly men get out and flip tree trunks, throw weights over a high-jump bar, and lift massive stones over their head.  Not their own stones.





For the burly ladies, they also have a rolling pin toss (is that chauvinist?) over the bar.  I didn't watch that because the marching bands were getting started, and its not just the kilts that make that worth watching.  The drummers are not only talented musicians, but also talented stick twirlers.



Food wise, the festival leaves something to be desired.  There's a booth that serves Haggis, but that's only so-so when it's done at its best, so I'm not about to try it at a fair booth.  Instead, I always get a meat pie, which is English more than Scottish, and tastes kind of like English food, which means it's nothing to write on a blog about.

The highlight is always the bands, especially Molly's Revenge, with their way-into-it fiddle and bagpipe player, and the Wicked Tinkers.





Yeah.  That song is called "Wallop the Cat."  Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment