Sunday, December 2, 2012

It's not a restaurant; it's a litte theme park

When I came to Austin a few years ago, I was a tagalong in a group of people I didn't know very well.  It was for the International Association for K-12 Online Learning conference.  It was early November in 2008, I think.  I saw the bats.

One night the group was going to go out for some barbecue.  I'd been told about The Salt Lick.  But we were with someone who used to live out there, and she recommended another place that left the kind of impression that I can't even remember the name of the place.  I do remember that the head of cattle on the wall would sing Happy Birthday to you if you were unfortunate to dine at this place on your special day.

I wasn't about to go back.  I rented a car for the specific purpose of driving the half hour out of Austin to visit The Salt Lick.  It was worth the drive, the money to rent the car, and would have been so even if I'd blown out all four tires on the way.

It's not so much a restaurant as it is a theme park.  The place is massive, several acres out in the middle of nowhere.  And since the restaurant isn't zoned to serve alcohol, they built a winery next door where they sell booze, and then you have to carry it over to the table.  They allow you to BYOB from anywhere.

It was like a carnival when we got there, with popcorn machines, lemonade stand ($2, and then you walk it over to the restaurant.  They squeeze it when you order it.  Awesome.), and stage for live music--the best we saw in Austin, the live music capital of the world.

And then there's the barbecue.  There are barbecue joints all over here.  There's one just outside my hotel, and I've yet to leave the place when I haven't seen some new one.  I hear that the place over on 11th street has won some awards and love from the locals, but it can't match The Salt Lick for atmosphere.

Our waiter wore a "Salt Lick Eating Crew" tshirt.  We got a sampler of all four available meats--Brisket, Pork Ribs, Turkey, and Sausage.  They have three sides--Potato Salad, Cole Slaw, and beans.  All were good, and none were sweet.  No sugar in the cole slaw, nor any mayo.  It's a barbecue sauce base on the potato salad.  I'm not suggesting it's any healthier, just unlike what you get at most barbecue joints.

It also smells fantastic.

I didn't order one, even though calories are free on vacation.
They have two items for dessert, Pecan Pie or Cobbler (though it comes as Peach or Blackberry.)  I can't comment on them because I didn't order any.  I had to get out to the concert.  I'm in Austin!

No comments:

Post a Comment