Sunday, April 15, 2012

Best salad dressing ever

I went to Carino's this week.  Carino's isn't the best Italian in the world, or close to it, but I think it beats Olive Garden most days, and I like their bread.  In this case it was close to where I was, and since it was raining that was good enough.

It's my usual habit to order whatever specialty non-alcoholic drink a restaurant has.  If they have flavored lemonades those are great.  Carino's has Italian sodas.  It's also my usual habit to let the server bring me the flavor she thinks is best, and that's where the meal took a great turn.  This waitress loved that I wanted "the best" one, so she brought me a blackberry soda with cream and vanilla.  It was fantastic.  Then she brought a lemon-lime, also with vanilla.  Also fantastic.

I ordered the baked tortellini, which came with salad.  What dressing do I want?  "The best one," says I.  Then I got nervous, since I really don't like Caesar dressing that much, but she assured me it wasn't that.  Instead, she coyly brought me some Italian dressing along with the garlic ranch.  Then she opened a bottle of balsamic vinegar at the table and told me to pour some if it in each ramekin of dressing and combine them on the salad.  It was the best salad dressing I've ever had at a restaurant. (Probably not as good as the maple balsamic I make at home.)

She went ahead and asked if I wanted my Cheese Tortellini the best way.  Of course I did!  So she brought it out not looking like this:


but instead it had the spicy Romano cheese sauce with sausage, tomatoes, and broccoli.  I loved it.  My dining companion, nameless for privacy reasons here, ordered the same thing and didn't like it as much.  But I don't think the waitress was flirting with her as much either, so my opinions might have been affected by that.

No comments:

Post a Comment