Friday, December 9, 2011

Amazing whom you run into

I went an hour out of town for an adventure on Wednesday and ran into more people I knew than I usually do at Costco, where you always run into someone you know.  It's Christmas season, so I thought it would be fun to go to the North Pole on the Heber Valley Railroad.

And since I'm going to Heber, why not find a fun new place to eat.  Trip Advisor rescues me at these times, and let me know about he Sidetrack Cafe.  Their kitchy website made me a little nervous--sometimes these little restaurants close up shop on you without leaving such an announcement on their website or making their coupons disappear.  Happily, I didn't have any coupons.

Sidetrack is more coffee shop than restaurant, but every Wednesday they do a pasta dinner with live music.  I was going on Wednesday, so this must've been meant to be!  But when we got there, this sign was on the door:


On the one hand, that sucks, because I was really looking forward to some pasta and live music. On the other hand, what a great adventure!  We passed a barbecue place right on the way over, so let's go there.

And eating my brisket sandwich, Chris Anderson (does anyone else always end up typing "Christ" when you just mean "Chris"?), former board chair at Weilenmann School of Discovery, one of my many client charter schools, whose former school saves lots of money on administrative expenses.

Then it was off to the train station to catch the creeper to the North Pole.  


And who was waiting to board, but Gayle Ruzicka, head of Utah's Eagle Forum, whom I've met once or twice, the first time in college when she was a guest speaker in a class on social movements opposite a gay-rights advocate.  (Fireworks!)

And after an hour, who gets on the train but my buddy Santa Claus (does anyone else always end up typing "Clause" when you just mean "Claus"?  Damn you, Tim Allen!), whom I hadn't seen in close to a year.  He didn't even remember me and just passed right on by my seat to say hi to some dumb kids sitting in front of and behind me.

But I sang songs with gusto anyway, but not as loud in the train as on the car ride home.  "Snow Globe" by Matt Wertz (who? I have no idea) is the best new Christmas song this year, and you all ought to download it.

No comments:

Post a Comment