Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sherlock Holmes

I've never read a Sherlock Holmes book or story, but I've seen several movie versions.  I recommend Without a Clue, Young Sherlock Holmes, and the recent one that was a BBC series last year, which is now available to stream on Netflix.  I wouldn't recommend the Robert Downey, Jr. version of the movie from a few years back, but I just saw the sequel, and it's awesome.

And for all the Jason Bourne-ness that Sherlock takes on in the movie, the best part is the chess match, when you really see the mental game unfold in Sherlock's and Moriarty's heads.  And the best shot of the movie is Moriarty screaming--no sound, but a great visual.

Downey is fantastic, as he always is.  I normally think Guy Ritchie is a bit to affected as a director, but it didn't bother me here.  The story, pacing, and humor were all much better this time around.  And since it's the first movie since Moneyball that's worth seeing, you should go see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment