Friday, December 23, 2011

Need a little Christmas

Here is this year's Christmas Card and message:


Never have I needed a little Christmas throughout the year like this year.

For those of you that I don’t speak to regularly or that don’t check my facebook wall enough, you may not have heard about my divorce. It’s awkward to write about that in a snappy letter that mixes in Christmas Carol references about the happiest time of the year. I’ve never grown sadder than during the months just before and after. I had built quite a life with Alli, and losing all that felt like a long fall, hitting and scraping every evergreen bough on the way down.

Six months on, I am more grateful for the birth, life, and sacrifice of the Savior than I have ever been. His Love has power to help us overcome any trial and heal any wound. Little Christmases have been around all year, like little angels sitting on my shoulder. Some of those angels are my brothers and sisters. Among those I also include those that are no longer technically in-laws. If they all were lights, they’d make the brightest string I’ve ever seen.

I did some traveling this year, too. Went back to the old homestead in Foster City, California for the most rejuvenating visit, leaving troubles behind in the blue lagoons that wind through the city. I added four new ballpark candles in my window, seeing games in Philadelphia, Washington, and two in New York. I also went to the ballpark in Tokyo, where the Yomiuri Giants play. Baseball crowds in Japan are completely different than in the States, with raucous singing ringing through the rafters when every batter comes up.

And I’ve started dating. I may be rushing things, but no time to deck those halls again like now. That’s led to some other firsts, including a first trip to the Symphony, and also the Cowboy Poetry Festival. What an adventure life is.

And what a friend Jesus is. Just when we need a little singing, a little laughter, a little Christmas, His Love is there, right this very minute. So, while I’ve grown a little older (no leaner, unfortunately) and the weather’s grown a little colder, I feel warm and hopeful, knowing that around a corner here is waiting a little happy ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment