Friday, November 25, 2011

Cribbage



I learned to play Cribbage yesterday.  The game is unlike any card game I've ever played.  In fact, the game it reminded me most of wasn't a card game at all, but Calvinball.



This game, invented by Calvin and Hobbes has only one rule, and that's that you make up the rules as you go along.

Cribbage has such weird scoring rules, and has scores and points for so many different things, that I think someone like Calvin invented it.  He probably got some dupe to play cards, and kept making up ways to get points as the game went along.  "Oh, I just turned over a Jack, and that's called "Nibs," and I get two points for that."  Then later in the game, "Oh, the Jack I have in my hand is the same suit as that card, so I'll call that "Nobs" and take a point for that."

"Oh, I just played a card that added up to 15 with the card you played, so I get two points for that."

"Oh, you can't play that card because with the four previous cards we played that makes more than 31.  I'll go ahead and take a point for that."



Next time I play, I'm going to bring base wickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment