Saturday, November 12, 2011

Steuben's Food Service

I love Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives.  I'm talking about the show, but I also like to eat at Diners, and at Drive-ins, and at Dives--at least good ones.  And the show highlights good ones from all around the country.  On a whim a few years ago I went to the show's website and suggested they come out to Utah to feature Ruth's Diner, which has okay food and fantastic location up Emigration Canyon.  A few weeks later, I got a phone call from them inviting me up to the restaurant when they'd be shooting a segment there.  Here's the result:



And here's me at Guy Fieri's Camaro.


So, whenever I travel, I check out this website that shows all the places that have been in the show on a map, with links to the videos on youtube and menus.  I've been to a few, including Chino Bandido, a Mexican/Jamaican/Chinese place in Phoenix. I can't recommend that place highly enough.

Today I'm in Denver and I went to Steuben's Food Service, which had a great video and looked so awesome.  It's built in a former auto repair garage, and they kept the garage doors and some of the ambiance.  It's not as kitchy as Donnie Mac's Trailer Park Cuisine in Boise, but it still looked fun.  

But I was disappointed. My sister ordered the Lobster Roll, which was highlighted in the show.  My nephew got the Shrimp Po'Boy.  I had wanted to try the roasted chicken from the show, but it wasn't on the weekend brunch menu, so I got chicken and waffles.


The chicken was actually really good, spicy breading, and who would have guessed, but even better with a little maple syrup.  The waffles were fine, too, but the meal was cold.  Nephew said his roll on the sandwich was stale.  The place was all I had hoped on the ambiance side, but left a little to be desired on the food front, so I wouldn't go back.




No comments:

Post a Comment